Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I felt like it was all my fault ;(

My daughter's teacher's told me that they believe she needs a speech therapist. I was initially down about it because no one wants to hear that their child isn't excelling. After hearing their opinion, I paid more attention to her. She sings Yo Gabba Gabba on the way home, tells her sister to hush, stop it, and I don't like it. She can't hold full conversations with people, but she understands most of our commands. After a week and a half of being in denial, I finally scheduled her an appointment. The doctor asked me and my daughter questions before telling me that she wasn't going to refer her to a speech therapist because she is normal. When I told her teacher that she is normal as long as she knows 50 words, she asked me if she even knew 50 words. I automatically knew from her response that she didn't know her that well because she tries to talk my ear off at home pointing out everything that she knows and repeating my name a million times. My mom told me that I went to daycare for years without talking to anyone and my daughter is probably the same. My thought was that they probably don't talk to her or try to encourage her to join group activities. I wish I could test my theory out on a friend, but I realized that we don't have someone that we see often enough outside of daycare for her to be comfortable and talk to them. I have decided to keep observing her and drop her off a little early so I can try to encourage her to play with her friends. She started saying one of her classmates names last week and that makes me happy ;-). I guess being an introvert when I was younger rubbed off on her and my husband is still an introvert. I am really working with her at home, because she is comfortable talking to us. I was down about it all at first because during the time where children learn most of their words, I was dealing with a bad pregnancy, pcs, and school. I felt like it was my fault, but now I am taking the opportunity to help her advance.

**UPDATE**
My daughter is talking our ear off about everything! Even when she doesn't have anything to say, she is talking. She isn't proficient, but she is doing very well. She still takes a while to warm up to people and talk to them, but she is definitely talking! We put our foot down with potty training three weeks ago and by the second day she was going without us telling her to. She would just go into the bathroom, close the door, go potty, and then come tell us. She hasn't mastered doing that at daycare, but I am happy that she is doing it at home. Now if we can get her to start trying all the food on her plate we will be A OK ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment